Friday, October 8, 2010

Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani

Big Stone Gap is the story trials and tribulations of Ave Maria Mulligan, a 30-something woman raised in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia who discovers her life and family are not what she thought they were.
Reminded me of the Mitford books with a small mountain town (dare I say "Hillbilly") sort of flavor.

Gentle humor, sweet romance, sassy women, kind and compassionate with a heroine called Ave Maria. What's not to like?

I do have to share my favorite passage in the book with you. Here goes:
"...I've made it my business to observe fathers and daughters. And I've seen some incredible things, beautiful things. Like the little girl who's not very cute--her teeth are funny, and her hair doesn't grow right, and she's got on thick glasses--but her father holds her hand and walks with her like she's a tiny angel that no one can touch. He gives her the best gift a woman can get in this world: protection. And the little girl learns to trust the man in her life. And all the things that the world expects from women--to be beautiful, to soothe the troubled spirit, heal the sick, care for the dying, send the greeting card, bake the cake--all of those things become the way we pay the father back for protecting us. It's a fair exchange..."

I like to think of myself as a strong, independent woman, but I gotta tell you, those words ring true in my heart.

Treat yourself to a sweet, funny story this fall. Get to know Ave Maria and all the quirky characters of Big Stone Gap, VA.

No comments:

Post a Comment