Wednesday, December 22, 2010
But it made me wonder--how much do we really know about the long ago Christmas night and how did we learn what we believe?
Through the years we have had a lot of fun giving this quiz out at various parties. It has inspired many cries of outrage and frustration as people who were sure they had the right answer found out differently. My middle school students got two years to try and still had trouble. Seems as many of our ideas about the birth of Jesus originate from imaginative Christmas carols as from the Bible.
Now it’s your turn. Answer the questions below to see if you really know as much about the birth of Christ as you think you do. Have fun and leave me a comment on how you do!
1. Joseph was from:
2. Mary and Joseph traveled to Bethlehem by
d) We don't know
3. The innkeeper told Mary and Joseph...
a) I have a stable you can use
b) There is no room at the inn
c) Both (a) and (b)
d) None of the above
4. Which animals were present at Jesus' birth?
a) Cows, sheep, goats
b) Cows, donkeys, sheep
c) Many barnyard animals
d) None are mentioned
5. Who saw the star in the east?
b) Mary and Joseph
c) The Wise Men
6. How many angels spoke to the shepherds?
c) A Multitude
7. What sign did the angels tell the shepherds to look for?
a) A star over Bethlehem
b) A baby that doesn't cry
c) A baby in a stable
d) A baby wrapped in swaddling clothes lying in a manger
8. Did Baby Jesus cry?______________
9. What did the angels sing?
a) Joy to the World
c) Unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given
d) Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace, good will to men
10. How many wise men came to visit Jesus? ________
11. The wise men found Jesus in a
d) a good mood
12. The wise men stopped in Jerusalem
a) To inform Herod about Jesus
b) To find out where Jesus was
c) To buy presents for Jesus
13. Who told Mary and Joseph to go to Bethlehem?
a) The angel
b) Mary's mother
d) Caesar Augustus
14. Joseph took baby Jesus to Egypt
a) To show him the pyramids
b) To be put in a basket in the river
c) Because he dreamed of it
d) To be taxed
15. Where do we find the Christmas story to check the answers to these questions?
e) All of the above
f) Matthew and Luke
g) Mark and John
Answers: 1(c), 2(d), 3(d), 4(d), 5(c), 6(a), 7(d), 8(Yes, like any other baby) 9(d), 10(we don't know), 11(c), 12 (b), 13(d), 14(c), 15(f)
15 right—Arch Angel
12-14 right—A Shining Star
9-11 right-- Praising Shephard
4-8 right---Time to reread Luke 2
1-3 right—You’re making baby Jesus cry
Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Thanks to Kathy Carlton Willis for the following information
"Bestselling Authors Join Forces Again
This book is now in its fifth year on the New York Times' bestseller list. It's sold more than five million copies and has been translated into 40+ languages. A feature film is in the works. The book? 90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper and Cecil Murphey.
Piper will join Murphey on the new Toginet online radio show, Cec And Me on Tuesday, December 7th at 7 PM Central time, 8 PM Eastern. That's tonight! Tune in to learn how the authors connected—the birth of a multi-book project and their mutually-respected relationship.
Listeners are welcome to call in with questions or comments, with opportunities to win free books. Piper and Murphey offer comfort and wisdom from their vast source of life experience with heartache, pain and loss. These men live out the phrase, “I feel your pain.” This show is certain to deliver grace-filled strength.
More about The Cec And Me Show:
Billed as a delightful, thoughtful, serious, and not so serious call-in show with Cecil (Cec) Murphey and Twila Belk, the show promises a blend of fun and a variety of topics, including tough issues such as cancer, caregiving, and sexual abuse, as well as lighter topics such as writing and Christmas miracles.
The far-reaching, refreshing, faith-based, shared conversation and call-in show offers:
- An inside look at the “Man Behind the Words.” This patriarch in the publishing industry shares from his life of words—over 100 books and going strong.
- Special guests who've been impacted by Cec in some way—people who in turn impact others—authors, speakers, pastors, ministry leaders and more.
- A wide range of topics—tough issues, practical helps, encouragement, inspiration, hope, and some fun thrown in for good measure.
- The opportunity to call in with your questions and comments.
About Cecil (Cec) Murphey
Murphey is an international speaker and bestselling author who has written or co-written more than 100 books, including Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story (with Dr. Ben Carson). His books have sold millions and have given hope and encouragement to countless people around the world. Many writers claim Murphey as their mentor or the father of their writing.
About Twila Belk
Belk is a writer, inspirational speaker, and conference director who also works fulltime with Murphey as his manager and personal assistant. She serves as the show’s host. "
Check out this clip for more details of Cec And Me: